As you all know, 50% of the proceeds of our newest shirt 'Conquer the Cowards' will be going to a local Pittsburgh Non-Profit organization that helps survivors of domestic and sexual violence. But, why does it matter to me?
I myself, have never been a victim. But, on a moral and fair level. We HAVE to matter about this. 1 out of every 6 American women has been a victim of attempted or completed rape in her lifetime, and 1 out of every 33 men has been a victim of attempted or completed rape in his lifetime. (sourced: Rape Crisis Centre)
'She shouldn't dress that way in public'
Here's the problem, you can think however you want about the dress sense. However, blaming rape on how she dresses basically indicates to me that you yourself have uncontrollable urges, and that's not her problem that's your problem. That's a problem that should have been addressed long before your adulthood
'If a woman really didn't want to be sexually assaulted, she could fight off her attacker'
Being a former Muay Thai Kickboxer I always say 'Learn a practical martial art' meaning, learn brazilian jiu jitsu, learn kickboxing etc. Not because you can kick their arse. But, be comfortable with the sudden shock of a surprise attack and have an idea of how to RUN away. Not stay and fight, but to create space in time to defend yourself to run away as fast as you can.
However, to those who don't take that approach. People say these uneducated thoughts like a man isn't going to overpower a female. A female who is weighs less that the man & more physically stronger. Again, being physically capable isn't the problem. It's self control.
'Victims are only female'
We saw the last statistic on the male victims, this issue isn't cut and dry. This effects everyone race, gender, color EVERYTHING. You have to be under a rock to realize that. The thing that hurts us the most is misinformation and understanding. There are males that go through this day to day
Life after the act
Apart from the physical injuries, a lot of victims have to go through the mental issues as well with rape being the stem of these base problems.
- 100% of completed rapes, 39% of attempted rapes, and 17% of sexual assaults against females result in injured victims.
- 33% of victims sustain minor physical injuries (bruises and chipped teeth).
- 5% of victims sustain major injuries (broken bones and gunshot wounds).
- 61% of victims sustain undetermined injuries.
- Only around 36% of injured victims receive medical care.
- 82% of those cared for use hospital services.
- 55% use physician services.
- 17% use dental services.
- 19% use ambulatory / paramedic services.
- 17% use physical therapy services.
Survivors of sexual assault are:
- 3 times more likely to suffer from depression
- 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs
- 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide
(Source: Rape Crisis Centre)
Why does this matter?
Why does anything matter? As a human on this earth, why should we care when we have so much more to worry about? Why does it matter when I'm not a victim and I've never seen it before. Well, to me, it's about being fair. Having a moral backbone to help others in your community, and help doesn't have to be dollar signs. It can be moral support, being there for your fellow human. GIVING A SHIT ABOUT LIFE! Caring about those that had something stolen from them and trying to reclaim self and wellbeing.
This is an issue that I hold dear to my heart and is something that I have no patience for. Make a change today.